Apheris is a deep tech company with the mission to fundamentally change how organizations collaborate securely and extract value from data.
The Apheris Platform empowers organizations to securely analyze data across organizations while keeping proprietary information private. Multiple organizations with complementary data can jointly use the Apheris Platform to create an Apheris Data Ecosystem and generate shared value from their data. We have set up such Data Ecosystems for top 10 pharma and chemical R&D enterprises and are ready for more.
Enabling new ways of collaboration and innovation is not just our purpose, collaboration is as well one of our core values. We are driven by impact and strive for the impossible. We build a safe environment for our team where we are responsible together and everyone commits to take up ownership. Together, we create a whole that is far more than the sum of its parts. We are always hungry to learn and stay humble while we grow.
Our interdisciplinary team of industry-leading researchers and engineers at the intersection of data privacy, cryptography and computational sciences is backed by top investors and tech industry innovators, including LocalGlobe, MuleSoft founder Ross Mason and Twitter board chairman Patrick Pichette (former CFO of Google). With their help, we currently focus on productization of a general-purpose product core and on developing an engine for growth to win our next 10 early customers. If you want to join us in this exciting and rapid growth phase and collaborate with us, we would love to get to know you.
About the role
As a Data Scientist in Image and Video Processing & Analysis, your primary focus will be on developing innovative imaging-based machine learning algorithms, and integrating that into our product core together with a team of great software engineers and data scientists. You will immerse yourself in the latest tech advances and make suggestions how to incorporate them where needed into our products. In doing so, you will leverage our core Apheris Platform for federated and privacy-preserving computations. You will be working on challenging deep tech projects closely together with customers from various industries, specifically Healthcare. With your expertise, you will be responsible for meeting scientific and project goals. We empower you to be a major contributor to the success of projects, customer’s satisfaction, and the advancement of our product core.
What you will do
- Develop novel algorithmic approaches to solve data science challenges, leveraging image and associated metadata information as well as the newest technology and insights from scientific research
- Define data requirements for training and testing of machine learning methods and work with the teams to ensure getting access to the right data
- Develop and review data science code and apply best coding practices
- Package algorithms for integration into Apheris’ products, ensuring algorithms meet resource, robustness, and performance requirements as well as privacy and regulatory requirements
- Develop research plans, designs feasibility studies and outline research procedures
- Create and contribute to reports, whitepapers and customer specific material on data science findings, and support publishing them in line with our research goals
- Drive communication with customers and our engineers on technical matters to tackle upcoming issues early
You should apply if
- Bachelor, Master or PhD in Physics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related fields and 3+ years of relevant working experience, or in place of a degree, 7+ years of relevant working experience
- Experience with image/video analysis and processing as well as building machine learning models on image/video data
- Strong coding skills in Python
- Experience with data analysis frameworks (e.g., Pandas, NumPy, SciPy), machine learning frameworks (e.g., PyTorch, TensorFlow, Scikit-learn) and image libraries (e.g., OpenCV, Yolo)
- Strong grasp of programming best-practices (e.g. code clarity, documentation, git, etc.)
- Genuine interest in working with cutting-edge technology in a fast-paced environment and a young start-up
Bonus points if
- Industry data science experience beyond academic research
- Experience with cloud infrastructure and cloud-native application development, including Docker containers, preferably on AWS
- Track record of publications or significant product contributions in machine learning on image and video data
- Experience with distributed or federated data processing (e.g., federated machine learning)
- Experience with project management, publicly funded R&D projects with academic and industry partners (e.g. BMBF, BMWi and EU funding) and projects with corporate clients
- Cross-functional skill set with experience in product design, project/product management or leadership
If you do not match 100% of the above requirements, but you think you fit this role, we encourage you to apply anyway. We value the right people and search based on your personality, potential and motivation to learn and grow. Together we can adapt the role in a way that is meant for you!
What we offer you
- Plenty of room to grow personally and professionally and shape your own role
- A fun and diverse team of smart and driven people
- Industry-competitive compensation
- Access to an employee participation program
- Personal budget for conferences, books, trainings and courses
- The right hardware to make you efficient – be it a laptop with Linux, Windows or a MacBook
- Regular team lunches and social events
- Daily fresh fruit, drinks, coffee (and an occasional beer)
- Inspiring office space in the heart of Berlin directly at the river (Paul Lincke Ufer)
- Possibility to work remotely
Our interview process is split into three phases:
- Initial Screening: If your application matches our requirements, our hiring manager will invite you to an initial video call. In this 45 minutes interview, you will get to know us and the role. Our hiring manager will be interested in your relevant experiences and skills as well as answer any question on the company and the role itself that you may have.
- Deep Dive: Your second video call will be with a domain expert from our team. Our interviewer will assess your skills and knowledge required for the role by asking you about meaningful experiences or your solutions for specific scenarios in line with the role we are staffing.
- Final Interview: Finally, we invite you to our office for two to three hours of interviewing with our founders, talking about our culture and meeting future co-workers on the ground.
We are inspired by complexity and driven by impact – apply now and join a team that is set to build the next large tech company!
We appreciate your interest in Apheris. Please fill in the following short form. Should you have any difficulties in uploading your files, please contact us by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org